[llvm-dev] Suggestion / Help regarding new calling convention

John Criswell via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 21 14:00:43 PDT 2016

On 6/21/16 1:06 PM, vivek pandya wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 9:57 PM, vivek pandya <vivekvpandya at gmail.com
> <mailto:vivekvpandya at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>     On Tue, Jun 21, 2016 at 8:58 PM, John Criswell
>     <jtcriswel at gmail.com <mailto:jtcriswel at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>         On 6/20/16 11:29 PM, Mehdi Amini wrote:
>>
>>>         On Jun 20, 2016, at 11:12 AM, John Criswell via llvm-dev
>>>         <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>
>>>         wrote:

>>>         As an aside, you might want to analyze how many functions
>>>         have both local linkage and are not address taken.  I recall
>>>         that many functions returned false for
>
> I think here you mean "returned true" but it should not return true
> for such case. Or I am making any mistake in understanding this?

You're correct; I said it backwards: hasAddressTaken() returns true when
it could return false because the function pointer is casted to another
function pointer type in one or more direct calls.

To be clear, my experience is a bit dated; I'm recalling details from
LLVM 3.2.  You should therefore test it for yourself to see if the issue
still exists and if it is pessimizing your results.  I mentioned it
because the problem existed for a long time during SAFECode's
development, and so I got into the habit of never using hasAddressTaken().

Regards,

John Criswell