[llvm-dev] RFC: Comprehensive Static Instrumentation

TB Schardl via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jun 19 05:49:58 PDT 2016

Hey Peter and David,

Thank you for your comments.

As mentioned elsewhere, the current design of CSI does not rely on LTO for
correctness.  The tool-instrumented executable will run correctly even if
the linker performs no optimization.  In particular, unused instrumentation
hooks are implemented by default as nop functions, which just return
immediately.  CSI is a system that *can use* LTO to improve tool
performance; it does not *require *LTO to function.

One of our considerations when developing CSI version 1 was design
simplicity.  As such, CSI version 1 essentially consists of three
components:
1) A compile-time pass that the tool user runs to insert instrumentation
hooks.
2) A null-tool library that provides default nop implementations for each
instrumentation hook.  When a tool writer implements a tool using the CSI
API, the tool writer's implemented hooks override the corresponding default
implementations.
3) A runtime library that implements certain powerful features of CSI,
including contiguous sets of ID's for hooks.

We've been thinking about how CSI might work with -mlink-bitcode-file.
>From our admittedly limited understanding of that feature, it seems that a
design that uses -mlink-bitcode-file would still require something like the
first and third components of the existing design.  Additional complexity
might be needed to get CSI to work with -mlink-bitcode-file, but these two
components seem to be core to CSI, regardless of whether
-mlink-bitcode-file is used.  (Eliminating the null-tool library amounts to
eliminating a pretty simple 39-line C file, which at first blush doesn't
look like a big win in design complexity).

CSI focuses on making it easy for tool writers to create many
dynamic-analysis tools.  CSI can leverage standard compiler optimizations
to improve tool performance, if the tool user employs mechanisms such as
LTO or thinLTO, but LTO itself is not mandatory.  It might be worthwhile to
explore other approaches with different trade-offs, such as
-mlink-bitcode-file, but the existing design doesn't preclude these
approaches down the road, and they will be able to share the same
infrastructure.  Unless the other approaches are dramatically simpler, the
existing design seems like a good place to start.

Cheers,
TB