[llvm-dev] RFC: Comprehensive Static Instrumentation

Dean Michael Berris via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 16 22:36:43 PDT 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 5:42 AM Matthias Braun via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Some of this overlaps with the features in XRay (
> http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-dev/2016-April/098901.html).

Matthias beat me to it!

>From reading the RFC, it seems that some of what XRay is doing on the
instrumentation side is very similar to what CSI enables. The current
implementation I'm working with (in http://reviews.llvm.org/D19904)
requires some very deep integration with the LLVM compiler infrastructure
(essentially a machine function pass, and instruction lowering on a
per-platform basis).

The development of XRay has a few trade-offs for code-size effect and
runtime overhead, which I suspect are unique to XRay's target use-case
which is for efficient function call accounting/tracing.

So I have two high-level questions:

- Will something like XRay be implementable on-top of CSI?
- How will the runtime components cooperate or be handled by tools built on
top of CSI?

Cheers