[llvm-dev] assumptions about assume, was: RE: Early CSE clobbering llvm.assume

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 16 16:07:52 PDT 2016

----- Original Message -----

> From: "Peter Lawrence" <c_plawre at qca.qualcomm.com>

It is generally the former, or it could be the frontend as a way to capture some aspect of the language semantics useful for optimization. Clang, for example, supports __builtin_assume (and __builtin_assume_aligned) which are implemented in terms of LLVM's assume facility. Some of the alignment-related attributes are also lowered this way.

-Hal

--

Hal Finkel
Assistant Computational Scientist