[llvm-dev] [3.9 Release] Release plan and call for testers
Tom Stellard via llvm-dev
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 13 07:11:58 PDT 2016
On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 09:14:43AM -0400, Rafael Espíndola wrote:
> > The 4.1 release gives us the opportunity to drop support for 3.x
> > bitcode formats, so I don't think we should move to 4.x until we have
> > older bitcode features that we really want to drop. There should
> > probably be a separate discussion thread about this.
> It give the opportunity, not the obligation. Given that I think it is
> an independent issue and would suggest we just keep the revisions
> simple and switch trunk to 4.0.
The main issue I see with automatically moving to 4.0, is that if a year
from now we decide we want to drop a bitcode feature, we can't really do
it unless we bump the major version again to 5.0. If we continue on
with 3.x, then we still have the flexibility to drop bitcode features
when we decide it's necessary.
More information about the llvm-dev