[llvm-dev] Temporary alternative: [was: Re: IMPORTANT: APT repo temporary switched off]

Johan Engelen via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 11 15:18:41 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:26 PM, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es> wrote:

> On 06/11/2016 09:22 PM, Johan Engelen wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 7:57 PM, Tobias Grosser <tobias at grosser.es
> > <mailto:tobias at grosser.es>> wrote:
> >
> >     On 06/11/2016 07:52 PM, Johan Engelen via llvm-dev wrote:
> >     > On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 9:00 PM, Sylvestre Ledru via llvm-dev
> >     > <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>
> >     <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org <mailto:llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org>>>
> >     wrote:
> >     >
> >     >     http://llvm-apt.ecranbleu.org/apt/
> >     >
> >     >     Please note that it is just a temporary solution, I might turn
> it off if
> >     >     the load is too important.
> >     >
> >     >
> >     > Thank you very much for setting up an APT repository with LLVM
> trunk in
> >     > it. LDC's CI systems are now working with the binaries available
> from
> >     > llvm.org <http://llvm.org> <http://llvm.org>, but for LLVM trunk
> >     we depend on the APT repo.
> >
> >     Just to be sure. Are you caching these binaries or are you
> downloading
> >     them for each CI run? As you know, we had serious load problems, so
> >     pointing uncached CI systems on any of these links is probably not a
> >     good idea. ;)
> >

> > Yes, the llvm.org <http://llvm.org> binaries are cached.
> > The APT repository download isn't, as I don't know how to do that (yet).
>
> I suggest that you meanwhile _disable_ your CI builder until you can
> cache your builds. Otherwise our new APT mirror might be disabled as well.

Caching is going to help of course, but I'm not sure how much: the APT repo
is updated twice a day, and I think we do less than 5 builds daily on
average. (Only one of our CI builds is using the APT repo, all others are
using cached llvm.org binaries or binaries from Mac Homebrew.)

We don't need to be up-to-date with the very latest trunk version. Once a
week (or slower) is much nicer for us. Is there a place where we can
download a tar.xz package of trunk (built for Ubuntu Trusty), that we could
manually update a reference to? So we can manually bump the LLVM svn
revision to download a package for, and cache that for a week or longer.

We really want to keep testing with LLVM trunk. I think we are one of the
few projects doing that, so I think it is of value for LLVM too to get bug
reports early.

Thanks!
  Johan