[llvm-dev] TableGen operand question

Simon Cook via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 10 06:13:19 PDT 2016

Hi Dawid,

I've had to do something similar for a different backend, whereby I use
memory locations as a substitute for registers in something rather
register-contrained, and I hope this may be relevant to the issue you're
trying to solve.

How I would tackle this is to create a register class full of pseudo
registers where each one represents one memory location, and do
instruction selection and register allocation on that. Once that is
complete, I would have a pass which goes through each instruction in a
MachineFunction and replace the operands with the reference to memory
and emit that. In my case these pseudo registers lived on a stack, so
the replacement wasn't too difficult, I don't think replacing registers
with symbols would be any harder than that. Once complete it's just a
matter of having your assembler and linker handle these references
(though you should be able to generate some assembly directives to help
here also). Note may have to store some data in your targets
MachineFunctionInfo class to help keep track of the real size of a
frame, as asking a MachineFunction will now give the wrong result.

One consideration would be the size of this register class (that is, the
number of pseudo registers you create). If you make it too large and you
may end up wasting memory, though I'm not sure exactly what the register
allocations will do in this case if given far too many registers for a
given problem. If you make it too small, you'll have to start thinking
about how to spill memory locations to other memory locations (or
rewriting generated code post-regalloc to avoid this).

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Simon