[llvm-dev] Intended behavior of CGSCC pass manager.

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 9 03:26:08 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 8, 2016 at 8:14 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> data structure that is trying to model the "ref graph" of LazyCallGraph, it
>> is cleaner to have nodes that are not functions than to introduce a notion
>> of hyperedge.

>>> A very high level comment: why do we need to update callgraph on the fly
>>> ? Can we have a more general support of iterative SCC pass invocation?
>>>
>>> something like:
>>>
>>> 1) build the callgraph
>>> 2) cache the post-order traversal order
>>>
>>> 3) if the order list is empty -- done
>>> 4) traversal: invoke function passes for each function on the order
>>> (step 2 or 5). The call graph gets updated on the fly (with new edges, or
>>> new nodes for cloned functions)
>>> 5) update the function traversal order from new nodes and new edges
>>> created in 4)
>>> 6) go to step 3).
>>>

>> (sorry for the delayed reply... this is a very poignant question /
>> example)
>>
>> From the discussion with Chandler, I think he wants to provide more
>> guarantees to function passes about the visitation order. He will need to
>> explain his exact concerns. But IIRC the essence of one of the issues is
>> captured in the example I gave in 2.b) in the OP:
>>
>> "These function passes are e.g. able to DCE a call, removing an edge
>> from the CG. This converts, say, a CG SCC which is a cycle graph (like
>> a->b->c->a) into a path graph (a->b->c, with no edge back to a)."
>>
>> The issue that I remember Chandler brought up is that before deleting an
>> edge from an SCC, the nodes in the SCC are "unordered" w.r.t. each other;
>> but after deleting an edge from the CG which splits the SCC, there is an
>> order.
>> In other words, that the cached post-order may no longer be a post-order
>> traversal of the new graph after a function pass runs. For example, in the
>> cached post-order traversal we may have entered the SCC `a->b->c->a` via an
>> edge `x->b` and so our cached post-order traversal visits the functions in
>> the order `a, then c, then b`. If a function pass visits `c` and deletes
>> the call `c->a`, then "a, then c, then b" is not a valid post-order for
>> visiting the functions.
>>
>> Looking at the explanation I gave, I think there isn't really a problem
>> here. The cached post-order can only be invalidated for functions that have
>> already been visited.
>>

> If we merge CGSCC based transformation passes with an IPA analysis pass
> that requires strict/valid bottom up order, then updating the SCCs on the
> fly might be needed (or not if the result will still be conservatively
> correct) -- but  interleaving IPA analyses with IPA transformations like
> this is not the right thing to do also for other reasons.
>
> Assuming CGSCC pass just does a predefined set of transformations at
> function level with some order, there is no issue of 'invalidation' -- the
> cached order will always be valid. In 2.b),  why bother to revisit the

Indeed. That is the type of doubt for why I was asking this question in the
OP.

>> Speaking more broadly about the algorithm you just described, did you
>> intend to omit an SCC visitation step?
>>

> It is independent of this decision.  However we can actually go back one
> step and ask the question: is adding this layer really necessary? Why not
> just traversing the cgraph nodes in reverse topo-order (after removing the
> cycles)?
>

>> The goal of the CGSCC pass manager is the ability to visit an SCC (e.g.
>> inliner visits an SCC), then immediately run function passes to simplify
>> the result of inlining.
>>

> This is how current implementation is. Is it a fundamental requirement?

I think this is a good question. Hopefully Chandler will be able to reply
to this thread. From what I can tell, the exact requirements have never
really been discussed.

>> Only after the simplification has occurred do we visit the parent SCC. By
>> running the simplifications in lock-step with the inliner SCC visitation we
>> give parent SCC's a more accurate view of the real cost of inlining a
>> function from a child SCC.
>>

> This works for all bottom up scheme regardless of a SCC layer is added or
> not.
>

>> Issues similar to 2.a) (i.e. adding edges to the CG) also affect the
>> visitation order of SCC's (not just functions). For example, we visit an
>> SCC with a CGSCC pass (e.g. inliner). Then we run the first function pass
>> on that SCC, which may add an edge (e.g. promote indirect call to direct
>> call) that may enlarge the SCC. Do we continue running the remaining
>> function passes? Do we re-visit this new enlarged SCC? (if so, when?) These
>> are the types of questions that motivated this post (hence the name
>> "Intended behavior of CGSCC pass manager.").
>>
>> yes, I understand the motivation -- that is way I propose the agorithm
> that uses cached iteration order + worklist based iterative approach. In
> your example, when a new edge is exposed via devirtualization, only its
> caller/ancestor nodes need to be revisited in the next iteration.

Your proposal certainly sounds simpler and easier to reason about. (e.g. it
naturally avoids any issues with deletion)

Since there are only 3 non-inliner CGSCC passes (ArgPromotion,
PostOrderFunctionAttrsLegacyPass,  PruneEH) it may be feasible to remove
the entire abstraction from LLVM and replace it with a cached post-order
function pass visitation like you suggest. The inliner doesn't seem to do
anything special with the knowledge that it is visiting an SCC (besides
moving call sites that call within the SCC to the end of its worklist) and
so this may be fine.

Sean:~/pg/llvm % git grep 'public CallGraphSCCPass'
include/llvm/Transforms/IPO/InlinerPass.h:struct Inliner : public
CallGraphSCCPass {
lib/Transforms/IPO/ArgumentPromotion.cpp:  struct ArgPromotion : public
CallGraphSCCPass {
lib/Transforms/IPO/FunctionAttrs.cpp:struct
PostOrderFunctionAttrsLegacyPass : public CallGraphSCCPass {
lib/Transforms/IPO/PruneEH.cpp:  struct PruneEH : public CallGraphSCCPass {
lib/Analysis/CallGraphSCCPass.cpp:  class PrintCallGraphPass : public
CallGraphSCCPass {
tools/opt/PassPrinters.cpp:struct CallGraphSCCPassPrinter : public
CallGraphSCCPass {

CGSCC passes seem to have been added in what is now SVN r8247 (~Aug 2003)
http://lists.llvm.org/pipermail/llvm-commits/Week-of-Mon-20030825/006619.html
(LLVM appears to have been in CVS at the time).

Chris, do you remember the motivation for doing the CGSCC visitation
instead of a pure post-order function visitation like David is mentioning?
(or was it just an oversight / hindsight-20-20 thing?) Do you think it
would make sense to replace CGSCC visitation with post-order function
visitation in the current LLVM?

-- Sean Silva