[llvm-dev] Instruction Itineraries: question about operand latencies

Phil Tomson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 8 15:13:33 PDT 2016

I did some looking around and found this in Passes.cpp:
// Temporary option to allow experimenting with MachineScheduler as a
post-RA
// scheduler. Targets can "properly" enable this with
// substitutePass(&PostRASchedulerID, &PostMachineSchedulerID); Ideally it
// wouldn't be part of the standard pass pipeline, and the target would
just add
// a PostRA scheduling pass wherever it wants.
static cl::opt<bool> MISchedPostRA("misched-postra", cl::Hidden,
  cl::desc("Run MachineScheduler post regalloc (independent of preRA
sched)"));

So I added this to our target's passConfig subclass:
class XSTGPassConfig : public TargetPassConfig {
public:
    XSTGPassConfig(XSTGTargetMachine *TM, PassManagerBase &PM) :
        TargetPassConfig(TM, PM) {
           if (TM->getOptLevel() != CodeGenOpt::None)
              substitutePass(&PostRASchedulerID, &PostMachineSchedulerID);
        }

Then built and ran clang on some code. I had added some couts to the
getInstrLatency to display the UseInstr. This is an example of what I see
on the output:

>>> DefInstr: %vreg34<def> = LOADI32_RI %vreg3, 268;
mem:LD4[%3](tbaa=<0x75a64d8>) R32C:%vreg34 GPRC:%vreg3
dbg:pipeline_routing_be.c:223:3 @[ pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 @[
pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 ] ]
 Latency: 142 for: DefIdx= 0 UseIdx= 1
    UseInstr: %vreg34<def> = LOADI32_RI %vreg3, 268;
mem:LD4[%3](tbaa=<0x75a64d8>) R32C:%vreg34 GPRC:%vreg3
dbg:pipeline_routing_be.c:223:3 @[ pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 @[
pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 ] ]
%vreg35<def> = CVT_U32_TO_U64 %vreg34; GPRC:%vreg35 R32C:%vreg34
dbg:pipeline_routing_be.c:223:3 @[ pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 @[
pipeline_routing_be.c:1120:1 ] ]

...since I see vreg's mentioned there, I'm assuming this didn't run postRA
as I would have expected.

(Our code is based on LLVM 3.6 if that's relevant)

Phil