[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] Capture Tracking Improvements - BackgroundInformation

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 7 18:27:53 PDT 2016

> On Jun 7, 2016, at 4:02 PM, Philip Reames via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> (+CC LLVM dev - I'd dropped it in my original reply unintentionally and just noticed.)
>
> On 06/07/2016 01:35 PM, Philip Reames wrote:
>> (This was written in a rush.  There may be mistakes; if so I'll try to correct later.)
>>
>> At the moment, most of LLVM is worried about capture.  The only exception I know of are:
>> 1) isAllocSiteRemovable in InstCombine/InstructionCombining.cpp
>> 2) The thread local logic used in LICM's store promotion
>>
>> Let me phrase this informally:
>> - "capture" - can anyone inspect the bits of this pointer?
>> - "escape" - can anyone inspect the contents of this allocation?
>> - "thread escape" - can any other thread inspect the contents of this allocation?
>>
>> Generally, "escape" and "thread local" are about the *contents* of an allocation.  "capture" is about the the pointer value itself. In practice, we generally treat "capture" very conservatively.  To have something which has escaped, but isn't captured, you'd have to have a way to refer to an object without being able to determine it's address.  C++ doesn't have this (I think?).  Java does (in very limited forms), but we haven't tried to be aggressive here in LLVM. We generally assume "capture" implies "escape" and "thread escape".
>>
>> Illustrative examples:
>> - A function which returns the alignment of a pointer captures a pointer, but does not cause it to escape or become non-thread local.
>> - A function which compares a pointer against a known constant may capture, escape, and make non-thread-local all at once if the constant is known to any other thread.
>> - A function which writes a newly allocated pointer into a thread local buffer has captured and escaped it, but has not made it non-thread local.
>>
>> If I know something is thread local:
>> - I can demote atomic accesses to non-atomic ones.
>>
>> If I know something is unescaped:
>> - I can change the representation of the contents.  (Even if the pointer *value* has been captured.)
>>
>> If I know something is uncaptured:
>> - I can change the address of the allocation (but not the internal layout of the contents.)

Thanks for all the write-up, I found it very helpful. Especially since coming from a C/C++ background the distinction captured/escaped wasn't clear to me.

It seems that we indeed assume that "capture" implies "escape" in LLVM (conservatively).
I observed that it matters frequently when you have load/store from/to a global variable, and you can't know it does not "escape" because it is "captured" somehow. The alias analysis has to conservatively consider these load/store as "may alias" with any other pointer load/store.

--
Mehdi