[llvm-dev] Doubts

Pedro Lopes via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 7 13:56:47 PDT 2016

Hello Ahmed,

Thanks for your explanation. While very clarifying, your response created a
lot of questions in my mind.

I could not understand what you meant by:

"It's the operator used to "set" registers (the first operands) to
given values (the last operand, usually a DAG)."

Should I be thinking in terms of basic blocks where multiple operands
create a SelectionDAG and produce a result for example? Or maybe think
about the union of SDNodes to form MachineInstr by pattern matching?

When you presented the following pattern: "[(set GR32:$dst, EFLAGS,
(X86add_flag GR32:$src1, GR32:$src2))]" you made me realize that maybe I
don't fully understand pattern matching. I know that pattern matching uses
the SelectionDAG with SDNodes and produces a SelectionDAG of MachineInstr,
but when you use registers as operands in a pattern what does it mean? I
believe the first DAG, before instruction selection, is kind of register
agnostic exept for the RegisterSDNode. By that logic, you only could VTs
and not Registers, although they are widely used.

Regarding pattern's syntax, you can have various outputs, which number
depend on the last operand being matched, but only one operand, I'm I
correct?

Thanks a lot for the detailed explanation.

(Also, if you could redirect me to more information about block
live-ins/-outs I would be most grateful.)

Cumprimentos,
José Pedro Lopes