[llvm-dev] llvm intrinsics/libc/libm question

Ryan Taylor via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jun 7 14:54:19 PDT 2016

per 7.1.4p1:

 The use of #undef to remove any macro definition will also ensure that an
actual function is referred to

And then footnote 187:

Because external identifiers and some macro names beginning with an
underscore are reserved, implementations may provide special semantics for
such names. For example, the identifier _BUILTIN_abs could be used to
indicate generation of in-line code for the abs function. Thus, the
appropriate header could specify:

#define abs(x) __builtin_abs(x)

for a compiler whose code generator will accept it.

In this manner, a user desiring to guarantee that a given library function
such as abs will be a genuine function may write

#undef abs

whether the implementation’s header provides a macro implementation of abs
or a built-in implementation. The prototype for the function, which
precedes and is hidden by any macro definition, is thereby revealed also.