[llvm-dev] Naïve question about LLVM and Mac OS X (El Capitan)

Daniel Berlin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jun 6 11:43:55 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 11:22 AM, Antoniotti Marco via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Hi
>
> apologies for the stupid question and - probably - for the inappropriate
> forum.
>
> I am trying to install and compile a library/too that requires
> libclang.{a,dylib} and, unfortunately, libclangAST.{a,dylib} on Mac OS X.

I surmised that Mac OS X does NOT come with a full LLVM environment set
> up.  Is that correct? (I have Xcode 7.3.1 installed).

Yes.

> If that is the case, what do you think is the best way to install LLVM
> libraries without interfering with the Xcode setup?

I use homebrew to do it. If you are really concerned, you can have homebrew
not link it, but it should just work anyway.

Things i use that require libclang/libclangAST (for example, rtags), just
work in this setup.