[llvm-dev] [GSoC 2016] [Weekly Status] Interprocedural Register Allocation

vivek pandya via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 4 20:18:50 PDT 2016

Dear Community,

This week I got my patch reviewed by mentors and based on that I have done
changes. Also we have identified a problem with callee-saved registers
being marked as clobbered registers so we fixed that bug. I have described
other minor changes in following section.

It was expected to get the patch committed by end of this week but due to
unexpected mistake I was not able to complete writing test cases. Sorry for
that.
I had build llvm with ipra enable by default and that build files were on
my path ! Due to that next time I tried to build llvm it was terribly slow
 (almost 1 hour for 10% build ). I spend to much time on fixing this by
playing around with environment variables, cmake options etc.
But I think this is a serious concern, we need to think verify this time
complexity other wise building a large software with IPRA enable would be
very time consuming.

The toughest part for this week was to get lit and FileCheck work as you
expect them to work, specially when analysis pass prints info on stdio and
there is also a output file generated by llc or opt command.

So here is brief summary :

Implementation:
============

RegUsageInfoCollector is now Calling Convention aware so that RegMask does
not mark callee saved register as clobbered register. Due to this register
allocator can use callee saved register for caller.
PhysicalRegisterUsageInfo.cpp renamed to RegisterUsageInfo.cpp.
StringMap used in RegisterUsageInfo.cpp is replaced by DenseMap of
GlobalVariable * to RegMask.
DummyCGSCCPass moved from TargetPassConfig.cpp to CallGraphSCCPass.h.
Minor correction in comments, changes to adhere coding standards of LLVM.

Testing:
=====

The above mentioned changes has been tested with SNU-Realtime benchmarks.

Studied lit and FileCheck tool and written simple test to verify
functionality of coding.

Study and other:

============

Studied some examples of lit compatible llvm IR with comments to RUN test
cases, FileCheck tool syntax and how to use it with in lit infrastructure.

I also understand X86 calling convention in more details.

I also studied basic concepts in llvm IR language while reading .ll files
written for lit.

I learned about rvalue references and move semantics introduced in C++11.

Plan for next week:

1) Get the patch committed along with proper tets cases.

2) Analyse time complexity of the approach.

3) Make target specific pass to CodeGen as it seems it is not required to
be target specific.

4) If possible build a large application with ipra enable and analyze the
impact.

Sincerely,

Vivek