[llvm-dev] Adding source location information to crash dumps

Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jun 4 03:27:12 PDT 2016

Awful though it may seem, we sometimes do get crashes in the compiler,
usually because of some unhandled scenario we never thought of.
Unfortunately this typically happens when compiling very large pieces of
code, so narrowing down the context of the crash can be difficult.

When CLang/LLVM crashes it very helpfully creates a temporary pre-processed
file along with a shell script to run this file so the issue can be
reproduced.  And when run there is (usually) a call-stack dump, particularly
when the Debug build is run.

But I would also like to have a clue about what file and line in the
test-case corresponds to the context in which the crash occurs.  Is there
any easy way of adding the ability to write the 'DebugLoc' information
corresponding to the context or the crash, or is this information not
available to the crash-handler?

Thanks,

            MartinO