[llvm-dev] PBQP register allocation and copy propagation

Lang Hames via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 14:14:42 PDT 2016

Hi James, Arnaud, Sebastian,

I think one idea to improve the situation is to consider the cost vector of
> adjacent nodes during RN. Let's say you decided to do a RN for node A and
> want to compute the costs for choosing register %Ri. The current
> implementation does this by computing min(row/column i of edge A <--> B)
> but you can do better by adding B's cost vector to the row/column before
> computing the minimum. This way you also consider B's affinitiy for %R0.

The current solver does not use an "RN" rule as such (certainly nothing
comparable to what was discussed in the 2002 Scholz/Eckstein paper). We
have a heuristic rule for selecting nodes for reduction, but we do not
propagate costs from heuristically reduced nodes until backpropagation.

In fact, it seems even worse than this; if RN is used, then all neighbors
> are disconnected. So during backpropagation, unless I'm missing something,
> it seems we will only ever consider the node cost, never adding in any edge
> cost.

I think you're right, but just to be precise: In the current solver any
heuristically reduced node is colored during backpropagation taking into
account the costs for nodes further up the stack (i.e. ones that have been
colored earlier during backpropagation) only. Nodes further down in the
stack are not considered.

The metric we use for spill cost being what it is (i.e. not targeted for
> PBQP, but that’s a different subject)...

Yes - this is also a very interesting subject.

So: There are four things that we can tweak that I know of:

(1) Spill cost metrics.
(2) Heuristic node *selection*. (Currently "provably colorable nodes first
(in no particular order as far as I remember), possibly uncolorable nodes
last in order of spill cost")
(3) Speculative assignment during heuristic reduction - propagate costs
onto neighbors of the RN node based on a localized guess at the best
solution.
(4) Look-ahead during backpropagation.

All of these are worth looking at, but I'd be inclined to look at (2)
(maybe we should reduce nodes with many affinity edges later, so that
they're colored earlier?) and (4) (a user-configurable lookahead would let
clients trade compile-time for allocation quality smoothly).

James - how can I reproduce your test case? I tried with r271685 using 'llc
-O3 -regalloc=pbqp zia.ll', but I got:

bar:
        .fnstart
@ BB#0: