[llvm-dev] PBQP register allocation and copy propagation

James Molloy via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 10:04:01 PDT 2016

Hi Sebastien,

> I think one idea to improve the situation is to consider the cost vector
of adjacent nodes during RN. Let's say you decided to do a RN for node A
and want to compute the costs for choosing register %Ri. The current
implementation does this by computing min(row/column i of edge A <--> B)
but you can do better by adding B's cost vector to the row/column before
computing the minimum. This way you also consider B's affinitiy for %R0.

Am I right in thinking that this extra calculation would take place during
the backpropagation phase?

I'm also interested as to whether such a calculation would be sufficient
when more copies are inserted (a chain of copies):

      COPY           COPY

If we reduce B last, and we only account for neighboring affinities at the
backpropagation phase, we will not get an optimal allocation. However if we
could somehow propagate neighboring affinities at the *reduction* stage,
perhaps we might get a transitivity property emerging that could solve the
above case optimally?

I'm very much a newbie in this area so be gentle on me :)

Cheers,

James