[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 07:50:06 PDT 2016

On 3 June 2016 at 15:42, Craig, Ben via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Coming from a perforce and SVN background, I think this is understandable.
> With perforce and SVN, you just don't have as many options and possible
> workflows, so they tend to be a little easier to learn, and a lot easier to
> wrap in a UI on the client side.

So, we just have to make sure that we don't add any crazy workflow on Git.

That's why I like the idea of having llvm-projs as being an automated
sub-module hook-driven repo that no one uses, and let everyone else
use Git as it was intended, in a way that most GUIs can handle.

That's the workflow I'm looking for... I *really* don't want a
convoluted workflow "just because it's Git".

I'd rather use Git-SVN than have to write tons of bash scripts and
break my workflow. In that sense, we're on the exact same predicament.
GUI or not, makes no difference.

cheers,
--renato