[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 07:31:22 PDT 2016

On 3 Jun 2016, at 15:01, Aaron Ballman via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> The end result is "go use the console". Whether that's because people
> recommend it or because it's the only option is immaterial. The fact
> remains, we don't have to do that today, we may have to do that
> tomorrow, and some people view that as a regression. Let's not be
> dismissive of that by claiming it's a personal preference, please.

I don’t disagree, but the flip side of this argument is that git GUIs on *NIX platforms (including OS X) are far better than their svn alternatives, in part because things like committing individual parts of a set of changes independently are standard parts of a git workflow (and, in a large part, because the git CLI is a case study in poor UI design and so people have been far more motivated to write GUIs than for svn).

David