[llvm-dev] Switching to git (Windows experience) (was re:[cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?)

George Rimar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jun 3 02:03:44 PDT 2016

>On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 6:31 PM, Renato Golin <renato.golin at linaro.org> wrote:
>> I think we should start two other threads: one about git tooling on Windows
>> and one about infrastructure problems migrating to git.
>
>Some developers on Windows prefer to use GUI tools like TortoiseSVN to
>command line tools for version control. The last time I tried
>TortoiseGit on Windows (which was over a year ago), it did not feel
>ready for production use on a complex project to me (I had crashes on
>simple operations, and it seems I was not alone in seeing flaky
>behavior: https://gitlab.com/tortoisegit/tortoisegit/issues/1738 and
>https://gitlab.com/tortoisegit/tortoisegit/issues/2494 as examples).
>
>Are there suitable GUI tools for git on Windows for projects as
>complex as LLVM? I believe MSVC has some integration, but I've not
>used it before. Perhaps other tools exist that match the integration
>and stability that TortoiseSVN has with Explorer?
>
>I bring this up as a possible minor concern because asking people to
>switch from one set of command line commands to another set of command
>line commands is a different beast than asking people to switch from
>Explorer-integrated menus and dialogs to the command line (that's a
>drastically different workflow to achieve the same end result of
>source code version control).

+1. I am also bit concerned here. Never used git, but it is fine, I am ready to learn,
but now when I am using TortoiseSVN the only command line I am using is for creating the
final patch (though I think that is also available in GUI).
And what I heard in this threads that almost all using only command line for working with git. That
is really different workflow approach.

I guess people here can be divided on those who using/used both svn and git and
familar with both. Or a minor part, but still some group that are familar with svn only.
I think latter group just reads this thread and do not leave comments, just because unfamilar with git
enough to do that.

Tanya Lattner and Anton Korobeynikov wrote about some kind of survey that can bring on top
the real distribution of opinions, I think this idea was good, if that is a point of interest.