[llvm-dev] The state of IRPGO (3 remaining work items)

Bob Wilson via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 17:45:15 PDT 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 5:30 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> This also means that if the consensus is that -fprofile-instr-generate should really change its meaning to mean IRPGO, I’m open to having this internal patch on our side.
>
> Yeah, it sounds like someone is going to have to keep a "private patch" to change the default. At that point doing a switch on the triple in upstream seems preferable though :/

I don’t see why a private patch would be needed.

> So I propose the following (which is equivalent to what you proposed, but starting to put specific option names):
> 1. Add -fprofile-instr-generate=stable and -fprofile-instr-generate=unstable

That sounds like the right approach. I don’t have a strong opinion about the =stable/unstable names.

> a) Indexed profiles for -fprofile-instr-generate=stable are guaranteed to be compatible across compiler releases (which will include existing releases). Additionally, -fprofile-instr-generate=stable can be used in combination with -fcoverage-mapping.
> b) Indexed profiles for -fprofile-instr-generate=unstable are not guaranteed to be compatible across compiler releases. It is an error to use this in conjunction with -fcoverage-mapping
> c) -fprofile-instr-generate defaults to one of the two in a way that meets vendor needs, via private patches or an upstream switch on the triple or whatever. It can eventually be deprecated or whatever.

Typically we handle things like this by staging the change over a release or two. If we add those two new options (=stable, =unstable), we can have one release where the default matches the old behavior, and then change the default for the following release. Someone relying on the current behavior would then be able to change their builds to use the =stable option so that they won’t be broken when the default switches.