[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [lldb-dev] GitHub anyone?

Matthias Braun via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 14:31:00 PDT 2016

My thoughts on how to manage our history:

- For the initial transition we should really stay with linear history as that is what we are used to from the svn world!

As for the future directions:
- Even in the long term I would vote to stay with linear history, I see little benefits in having "correct" origin information of a commit that the merging model provides. On the other hand I find merge commits in the history unfriendly to readers (esp. the merges themselfes where you suddenly see conflicts of multiple commits getting resolved), bisection also gets a lot harder with merges in the history as it is hard to decide which branch to follow.
- As for squashing: I don't see why people would enforce that on the server. Often developers went through the trouble of forming a nice series of independent patches that helps understanding the changes. To people just appending fixup commits like mentioned below I'd strongly advice them to learn about "git rebase -i" so they can squash on their local checkout as necessary before committing to the server!

- Matthias