[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 11:27:25 PDT 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 11:22 AM, dag at cray.com wrote:
>
> Matthias Braun via cfe-dev <cfe-dev at lists.llvm.org> writes:
>
>> 3. Make sure we have ala llvm-project-submodules setup in the official
>> account. (Optional or necessary for the buildbots?)
>
>> 7. Make sure bisecting with llvm-project-submodules is a good experience
>
> I would like to have a fuller discussion about how to handle the
> multiple repositories before going forward.  Submodules is not the only
> solution available and we should take some time to evaluate what's out
> there.  There are definite downsides to submodules (and all the various
> solutions) and I personally need to better understand the tradeoffs.

My opinion is that submodules or not is an implementation details. For the sake of this high-level discussion we should be able to keep it as "submodules" meaning "some system to integrate and manage different repositories coherently".
We should evaluate subtree as well, as you mentioned, but also the tradeoff of other tools like repo (Android).

--
Mehdi