[llvm-dev] [Job Posting] LLVM at Cray

via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jun 2 10:17:18 PDT 2016

Hi all,

Cray just opened up a position for a compiler person to work on LLVM.
Details are below.  I've been working in this group for over a decade
now and it's a great team.  The environment is very collegial and
results-oriented.  Engineers get significant projects to work on and
have a direct impact in helping our customers tackle the largest and
most challenging scientific problems in the world.

While a lot of compiler work for high-performance computing overlaps
with general compiler improvements, there are definitely features we've
added that are pretty specific to supercomputing.  It's an interesting
space to work in, where the tradeoffs are sometimes much different than
they are for more general computing workloads.

In my time here I've done everything from developing new LLVM analysis
and transformation passes to writing backends for new targets.
Engineers have a lot of freedom and are encouraged to explore new ideas.
Most of those ideas come out of real customer problems so you get some
very real satisfaction that what you do makes a difference.

Note that while the listing is for St. Paul, MN we will soon be moving
our office a short distance away to the Mall of American in Bloomington,
MN.  So engineers will also be able to ride roller-coasters during our
lunch breaks!

Please feel free to e-mail me with questions.  I will answer what I can.

If you're interested in this position, please go to
http://www.cray.com/company/careers, search for keyword 16-0127 to find
this opportunity, and then click “Apply On-line” to create a profile and
submit a resume.

Best regards,

                      -David

---------

 Requisition Number 16-0127

 Title              Software Engineer - Compiler Technology

 Location           US-MN-St. Paul

 Position Type      Full-Time

 Description        Cray has an opening for a motivated and skilled
                    software developer to join its Compiler
                    development team. The Compiler Code Generation
                    Engineer will work on improving the optimization
                    and LLVM-based code generation phases of the
                    Cray Fortran, C, and C++ compilers. This
                    includes both significant research and product
                    development activities, as Cray continues to
                    advance the state of the art with automatic
                    vectorization capabilities across a variety of
                    architectures. This work includes the design and
                    implementation of new compiler-based
                    optimizations, enhancing the interface between
                    the Cray optimizer and the LLVM-based code
                    generator, adapting the compiler to new Cray
                    architectures, and working to improve the
                    overall quality of the compiler.

 Requirements       Qualifications:

                    · At least 3 years of experience in compiler
                    development or equivalent combination of
                    education and experience, particularly with
                    regards to compiler optimization.

                    · Background in high performance computing (HPC)
                    architectures, including multiprocessing and
                    vectorization, is highly desired.

                    · Experience with the LLVM ecosystem is highly
                    desired.

                    · Proficiency writing in C++ and C is required.

                    · Knowledge of Fortran is a plus.

                    · B.S. Computer Science or similar discipline is
                    required. Advanced degrees are welcome.

                    · Experience in working with large projects, or
                    an advanced thesis in an appropriate area.

                    · Commitment to sound software engineering
                    principles, outstanding problem solving skills,
                    ability to work well in a cooperative
                    development environment, and good written and
                    verbal communications skills.