[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] [Openmp-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

Chandler Carruth via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 20:47:09 PDT 2016

(Mostly trying to re-focus the thread somewhat)

Given support from Mehdi, Renato, and especially Hal who has contributed
specifically in this area to LLVM as a whole, and no strong objections from
significant contributors (I feel like the primary concerns Intel raised
have been addressed, and we can keep working to make sure the libomptarget
stuff is integrated effectively), I think we should move forward.

I understand that you still disagree with Hal and Mehdi here Chris, but I
don't think debating more in this thread is going to resolve anything.
While I'm still very interested in your feedback here and on the actual
implementation of SE, I think we should go with the direction suggested by
more significant contributors to the project. I'm inclined to trust the
judgement of Hal, Renato, and Mehdi in the absence of objections from other
significant contributors.

So Jason, I would suggest starting a fresh thread with Tanya to get the
mechanical stuff in place for the new project. We can discuss whether to
have a separate mailing list, etc. there. And then can start posting
patches based on the charter and other stuff you've already worked up.

(Also happy for folks who've been keeping silent to chime in with more
opinions! Just assuming that most don't have strong feelings either way at
this point.)

-Chandler