[llvm-dev] [llvm-foundation] IMPORTANT: APT repo temporary switched off

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 13:25:57 PDT 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 20:54, Sylvestre Ledru <sylvestre at debian.org> wrote:
> Guys, you are jumping on the gun.
> There is no need to migrate to PPA or build.o.o.

I think we all agreed that PPA was a bad idea from start, so don't
worry about it.

> llvm.org/apt was providing the mirror, not the build infra.
> Changing the URL of the mirror is trivial, changing the build infra is a
> complex work.

It's more than just an apt mirror...

Right now, only Debian based distros can use that apt repo, so if we
want to do the same for RPM based ones, we'll have to double the
infrastructure. Furthermore, I can see an argument to keep
distro-based storage in a distro-based infrastructure, not in LLVM, as
we probably should be distro-agnostic.

Dan was saying that the OpenSuse build can host files for all distros,
and maybe even build them, so I don't see any problem in *trying*
that. If anything, we'll end up with another distro being served in
the same way, and we could get Debian and Ubuntu builds to pull files
from there. Even if we go back serving the files from LLVM servers,
the Suse build can continue from the new location. I don't see any
harm in that... As you said, changing the mirror is trivial...

I'm happy with any solution that can be maintained for more than a
week without crashing other crucial LLVM infrastructure.

cheers,
--renato