[llvm-dev] The state of IRPGO (3 remaining work items)

Xinliang David Li via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 12:02:20 PDT 2016

On Tue, May 31, 2016 at 6:02 PM, Frédéric Riss <friss at apple.com> wrote:

> On May 24, 2016, at 5:21 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Vedant Kumar <vsk at apple.com> wrote:
>

>> > On May 23, 2016, at 8:56 PM, Xinliang David Li <davidxl at google.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 8:23 PM, Sean Silva <chisophugis at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Jake and I have been integrating IRPGO on PS4, and we've identified 3
>> remaining work items.
>> >
>> > Sean, thanks for the write up. It matches very well with what we think
>> as well.
>>
>> + 1
>>

>> > - Driver changes
>> >
>> > We'd like to make IRPGO the default on PS4. We also think that it would
>> be beneficial to make IRPGO the default PGO on all platforms (coverage
>> would continue to use FE instr as it does currently, of course). In
>> previous conversations (e.g. http://reviews.llvm.org/D15829) it has come
>> up that Apple have requirements that would prevent them from moving to
>> IRPGO as the default PGO, at least without a deprecation period of one or
>> two releases.
>>
>> Sean pointed out the problematic scenario in D15829 (in plan "C"):
>>
>> ```
>> All existing user workflows continue to work, except for workflows that
>> attempt to llvm-profdata merge some old frontend profile data (e.g. they
>> have checked-in to version control and represents some special workload)
>> with the profile data from new binaries.
>> ```
>>
>> We can address this issue by (1) making sure llvm-profdata emits a
>> helpful warning when merging an FE-based profile with an IR-based one, and
>> (2) keeping an option to use FE instrumentation for PGO. Having (2) helps
>> people who can't (or don't want) to switch to IR PGO.
>>

>> > I'd like to get consensus on a path forward.
>> > As a point of discussion, how about we make IRPGO the default on all
>> platforms except Apple platforms.
>>
>> I'd really rather not introduce this inconsistency. I'm worried that it
>> might lead to Darwin becoming a second-tier platform for PGO.
>>
>> Fred (CC'd) is following up with some of our internal users to check if
>> we can change the default behavior of -fprofile-instr-generate. He should
>> be able to chime in on this soon.

Fred,

> Sorry it took me so long. I’ve discussed the change in behavior quiet
> extensively, and I after having changed my mind a couple times, I would
> argue in favor of keeping the current behavior for the existing flags. I
> think adding a new switch for IRPGO is a better option. The argument that
> weighted most on my opinion is the proposed interaction with
> -fcoverage-mapping, and it is not at all platform specific. With the
> proposed new behavior, turning coverage on and off in your build system
> will generate a binary with different performance characteristics and this
> feels really wrong.

This is an interesting observation, but IMO this should not be a problem in
practice:

- Coverage testing and PGO users are not overlapping. They have completely
different objectives and expectations. For instance, coverage users care
about covering the cold/rarely executed paths and find ways to make them
appear in the path, and in the meantime reduce the 'hotness' of real hot
paths in order to reduce testing overhead, while PGO users will do the
opposite.
- Coverage testing and PGO are two different things. Using PGO
infrastructure for coverage is actually an implementation detail. This is
why it is better to let -fcoverage-mapping to turn on FE instrumentation
automatically without needing the user to know about this
dependency/detail.   There is also an ASAN based coverage support. It would
be nice to unify various ways of doing coverage testing with unified use
model, reporting tools and interfaces etc.
- Longer term, we will add more advanced features in IR based PGO, so
unless we duplicate all the work also in FE based instrumentation, the
longer term picture is that IR based instrumentation will become the
default choice for PGO users, so it seems natural to simplify their use
models by making IR based instrumentation the default. On the other hand,
the proposed flip won't create additional complexity to coverage testing
users.

> I would actually make the IRPGO mode completely incompatible with the
> -fcoverage-mapping flag.

yes, agree.

thanks,

David