[llvm-dev] [cfe-dev] GitHub anyone?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 11:18:40 PDT 2016

On 1 June 2016 at 17:02, John Criswell <jtcriswel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you have a set of volunteers lined up to do such a migration? Getting
> people willing to do the migration will obviously be key, and that was the
> one thing I didn't see in the original email.

Hi John,

Well, first we need to know if people are in favour, then if the
migration won't bring any serious problem, and then we can think of a
migration plan. :)

So far, it seems people are mostly in favour, with a few that reported
being locked into SVN. I had anticipated that, and have proposed
GitHub's SVN integration, which allows read-write access, so it should
be mostly ok. We need more tests on that side to be sure, though.

The biggest problem we're facing right now is how to sync the repos.
The existing llvm-repos format with all projects as sub-modules seem
to be a good candidate, but I still haven't seen a consensus on how
we'd do that.

About the migration plan, most people seem to agree a step-by-step
process is necessary. So, first we move to git-only, possibly with
sub-modules, then we move to GitHub/Lab/BB, then we move Phab to
GitHub merge requests, etc.

Regarding volunteers, I haven't yet asked around yet, but I'm sure we
have enough interested people to help. If everything else fails, I'm
more than happy to do all of that myself. Though, I'd have to learn a
lot more about sub-modules than I know today, which is effectively
nothing. :)

cheers,
--renato