[llvm-dev] [llvm-foundation] IMPORTANT: APT repo temporary switched off

Dan Liew via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 09:59:14 PDT 2016

On 31 May 2016 at 10:27, Anton Korobeynikov via llvm-foundation
<llvm-foundation at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> TL;DR: APT repo switched off due to excessive load / traffic
>
> Recently we realized that APT repo generates almost 95% of I/O on
> llvm.org and more than 40% of network bandwidth alone. During last 2
> weeks the main services on llvm.org (svn, git, bugzilla) had serious
> problems with overall connectivity.

I'm not surprised by the heavy load but a little more notice would
have been nice. This has broken our CI builds for KLEE [1]. We (the
KLEE developers) can fix this by moving our CI to run in an Ubuntu
14.04 environment where the LLVM version we currently require is part
of the official Ubuntu repositories. So I guess this is the impetus we
need to make the switch :)

I (and suspect several others) really on the packages in the APT repo
for our CI builds. You can see see that the LLVM APT repo
is in TravisCI's source white list [2] so there are probably others using it.

[1] https://travis-ci.org/klee/klee/jobs/134303870
[2] https://github.com/travis-ci/apt-source-whitelist/blob/92dbd15f6a12e5f24c2f31f314060a349c37dc68/ubuntu.json#L168