[llvm-dev] [Openmp-dev] [cfe-dev] RFC: Proposing an LLVM subproject for parallelism runtime and support libraries

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jun 1 08:29:56 PDT 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 11:21 PM, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

>> On Jun 1, 2016, at 7:42 AM, C Bergström via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>>
>> I still don't see why
>> they can't fork it on github or create a project to let it bake and
>> get some users or traction.
>
> The intent may be that instead of creating a separate community of users, it'd create its community inside the llvm projects community. That looks like a nice "feature" long term.
>
> Cost/benefit: cost is not really existent, potential benefits are interesting.

Not true - the cost isn't zero.

Of the top of my head...

#1 The project will mix and blend with other programming models - The
shared runtime should cover all the popular stuff and "this"

#2 User confusion - Promoting this over other more established
projects and models is just another turd in the pot

Lots of things are interesting.. lets take Legion as an example.. that
little heard of project at *least* has a bunch of examples and more
docs than SE..
https://github.com/StanfordLegion/legion/tree/stable/examples

Why do I feel so strongly - because I've been dealing with
here-today-gone-tomorrow programming models for 8 years now... It's
boring and wastes a lot of time. Research projects should incubate
outside the tree before being included with production parts.