[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Michael Gottesman via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 31 00:24:26 PDT 2016

> On Jul 31, 2016, at 12:06 AM, Justin Lebar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
>> And if it is, then the "only thing a monorepo gets you" isn't something that you need a monorepo to get.
>
> This is an *extremely important* point to understand, so let me try to
> be really clear about the current state of the world and the state of
> the world under the two "move to git" proposals.
>
> Today, all commits ultimately end up in SVN.  Our SVN is a effectively
> a monorepo, so today, a single commit can touch multiple subprojects.
> How you get the commit into SVN is your business.  Maybe you can hack
> git-svn somehow to do the atomic commit.  (If this is possible, it's
> beyond my ken.)  Alternatively you can just commit via SVN.  If you're
> a git user, I wrote a hacky script [1] that cherry-picks commits from
> the existing monorepo mirror and commits them via SVN.  It's annoying
> to do, but it is possible today to atomically commit to multiple
> subprojects, as you observed.
>
> Under the monorepo proposal, this becomes much easier.  It's just "git
> commit", no magic.
>
> Under the multirepo git proposal, this becomes either impossible or
> much more complicated.  Under the proposal, we have separate git
> repositories for each subproject, and we push directly to these.
> There's then an umbrella repository, which includes the subproject
> repos as git submodules.  There's a script which periodically checks
> the subproject repos for updates.  When it sees an update, it creates
> a new commit in the umbrella repository.  The script is the only thing
> that can create commits in the umbrella repo.
>
> In order to get atomic commits in the multirepo world, we would need
> some way to inform the script that two otherwise separate commits
> should appear in the umbrella repo as a single commit.  We'd probably
> need to agree on a protocol communicated via commit messages.  We'd
> also probably need client-side scripts to set the commit messages
> appropriately.

I have been thinking about this a little bit last night.

The natural way to synchronize a multi-commit update in a git repository is via a merge commit. This suggests what we really want in this case are several updates (one to each repository) on a branch that is then merged in one instant into the umbrella repository. Then the only thing the bots would see would be the merge commit and thus state is synchronized.

The natural way to do this would be via a multiple-repo PR. In such a case, the CI would handle the merging for you after you have done your testing and thus update the umbrella repo appropriately. In Swift land we are using PRs extensively and are going to most likely do multi-repo PRs. Once that is done I expect to implement what I just described so I have a nice repo to drive our performance tracking (which is using something else that is unfortunate right now).

I do not think it will be that complicated to implement.
Michael