[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Thu Jul 28 12:05:37 PDT 2016

>> The decision of whether or not to include these projects
>> affects only read-write consumers of these projects -- of which there
>> are relatively few people.
>
> Maybe there are few, but the impact is non-insignificant. Also I think the opinions of the read-write consumers of the sub-projects being included should count for a lot

I agree.

> as a read-write consumer I don’t like this proposal if it includes the runtime libraries.

Point well-taken.

> The existence of subproject mirrors requires someone to write and maintain the tooling to keep those mirrors updated,

I think you will find on this thread no shortage of people willing to
maintain said mirrors in exchange for getting a monorepo as the
canonical source of truth.

> and those mirrors will have all the technical hurdles and drawbacks that a submodule repository would have.

I don't understand this.  The point of the mirrors is to allow people
to use a read-only multirepo workflow.  I agree that if one chose to
do so, one would bite all of the drawbacks of a multirepo workflow,
but...that's the point?  Maybe I'm missing something.

> The question here is: Do you make downstream single project users work off potentially unreliable mirrors, or do you make the people who need a mono-repo experience work off a potentially unreliable submodule repo?

I agree with the gist of this question, but I want to refine the
trade-off a bit.

With a monorepo, downstream single-project users actually have two
options.  They can work off the mirrors, or they can just download the
whole thing.  So with the monorepo, downstream single-project users
are not forced to work off noncanonical mirrors.  They are only
"forced" to do so if they are unable or unwilling to download a 500mb
repo and throw away most of it.  Which I think may actually be
relatively few people.  But what do I know?

Anyway my answer to this question has been and still is, that a
monorepo is strictly more powerful than a multirepo.

For one thing, we can atomically commit across subprojects using a
monorepo.  On IRC I've had a bunch of people just begging me for this.

Putative scripts that allow monorepo users to commit to the multirepo
would not be able to translate cross-cutting commits into a single
commit in the umbrella repository without cooperation from the script
that translates commits to the multirepos into commits in the umbrella
repository (that's the one that contains all the multirepos as git
subrepositories).  It's possible -- it's turing complete --, but it
would be very complicated.

Still more complicated would be writing a script that would allow
monorepo users to push to putative try bots that are based off the
multirepo.  Again anything is possible, but I have written and
maintained similar software in the past (for a significantly simpler
setup) and it was fragile as heck, and again this is going to require
extensive cooperation between us and the multirepo --> umbrella repo
script.

In contrast, as discussed earlier, if people want a multirepo-like
setup based on the monorepo, we can reduce this to a single command
run once when the repository is cloned.  It ends up being far less
fragile, and requiring far fewer (actually, zero) tricks on the server
side.

> Instead, let’s talk about DragonEgg.

+1.

> The DragonEgg project is, as far as I can tell, abandoned, but it is still an LLVM project that is tightly coupled to LLVM versions. So it meets criteria #1. I think it fails to meet criteria #2 because DragonEgg is basically abandoned and provides no real value to the community. Even though the burden of a dead project on the mono-repo is minuscule, I think there is no good reason to include DragonEgg.

If DragonEgg is abandoned, I think we should keep the history in our
repository and just delete it from head.

My argument for keeping it in our history is: Suppose we go with a
monorepo, and suppose at some point in the future, some other LLVM
project -- say, lld -- became abandoned.  Would we rewrite our
monorepo history to erase all trace of lld, because it no longer
provides value to us?

No, right?  lld's history is part of our history.  We'd just delete it
from head and move on with our lives.

> My arguments are from the perspective of someone working on the runtime library projects, the burden is significant to be included in the llvm mono-repo. While the full history of LLVM is around 500MB, the full history of *all* the runtime projects is less than 100MB.  Developers working on libcxx or compiler-rt should not need to clone LLVM, and run commands to do sparse checkouts. That is more burden than we should incur. Further the setup cost of doing multiple sparse checkouts in order to approximate the workflows we have today with decoupled projects is, IMO, unnecessary and unreasonable.

OK, just to make sure I understand your point here, because this is
important, you are saying that you object to including libcxx and
compiler-rt in the llvm monorepo because:

* It would consume an additional ~400mb of disk space, and
* It's unnecessary and unreasonable to ask libcxx etc. developers to
run a script when they check out the monorepo if they want a sparse
checkout and/or a setup that mirrors the multirepo.

I'm not trying to put words in your mouth or subtly change what you're
saying, so please let me know if I didn't get that right.

Thanks again for all your time here.

-Justin