[llvm-dev] RFC: SIMD math-function library

C Bergström via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 27 19:43:34 PDT 2016

Why is there any motivation to bundle it with unrelated stuff at all?
What's the benefit? If it's just to prop up the existence of
parallel_libs, then I don't think that makes sense.. Should we move
llvm loop optimizations over to parallel_libs as well?

If this is just a bikeshed argument, of course chandler will get his
way and nobody else matters..

Hopefully, the decision is driven by points like: maintaining a clear
modular design, repo with the same name it had before, works
independent of any compiler, clearly defined what it is and who is
working on it as well as the goals..

(Which is the exact opposite of parallel_libs which is a meta-bucket
of dumping "stuff") Another reason why parallel_libs doesn't make
sense is that it's still extremely low visibility or relevance. Was a
mailing list setup for it? If it's a real project, why wasn't that
list on cc?

I'd opt to go with what the author wants or worst case compiler-rt in
the event people refuse to create another repo. The nature of the
functions it implements is complementary to what's there already,
better visibility as well as something people may be checking out
already.