[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Bruce Hoult via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 27 11:03:56 PDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 4:47 AM, Chris Bieneman via llvm-dev <
llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Beyond all that I want to point out that the git multi-repository story is
> basically the same thing we have today with SVN except for the absence of a
> monotonically increasing number that corresponds across repositories. While
> admittedly you do get a linear history with using the mono-repository, that
> isn’t the only way to solve the problem, and I don’t really think that the
> benefit (not needing to write some tooling) justifies the increased burden
> applied to contributors that don’t use the full LLVM family of projects.

What do you believe is this increased burden?

The entire commit history of all llvm projects in a mono-repository is a
449 MB .git directory. It can be downloaded in about two minutes on a
typical domestic internet connection (50 Mbps).

If you download only a snapshot of the current HEAD commit then the .git
repository is 88 MB and takes under a minute. Any other individual commit
should be similar.

This doesn't seem like a big burden to me.

The checked out llvm source directory -- which you say is all that many
people want -- is 202 MB. That's without even building it.

Why is this burden unacceptable? It seems rather small to me.

For comparison, using svn to checkout llvm using ...

svn co http://llvm.org/svn/llvm-project/llvm/trunk llvm

... took me 1 minute 28 seconds and gives a 222 MB .svn directory, 428 MB
total (so 206 MB for the source files checked out).