[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Sean Silva via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 26 23:26:17 PDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Hal Finkel <hfinkel at anl.gov> wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> *From: *"Sean Silva" <chisophugis at gmail.com>
> *To: *"Chandler Carruth" <chandlerc at google.com>

Actually, I think that some loop pass not being able to do anything because
its input in LCSSA as a case that is less problematic. I think your
argument is pretty solid that transformations interact in subtle ways
already.

I'm more concerned with the "must be cached at a higher level" issue, as in
my practical testing in the new PM this has led to substantial wastes of
time. Essentially, what this leads to is that you write out a pipeline
(e.g. insert a pass somewhere in the pipeline) and rebuild test-suite, a
bunch of errors spew, then you have to go to the source code of the pass
that is emitting the "must be cached at a higher level", see what else it
needs, try adding that, and repeating. It's pretty miserable and wastes a
lot of time.

(also, it doesn't help that the pass pipeline parser's diagnostics are
currently at the level of "error parsing pass pipeline" with no other
information; yeah, yeah, patches welcome etc. just haven't got around to it)

-- Sean Silva