[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 20:49:22 PDT 2016

> On 2016-Jul-25, at 20:31, Justin Lebar <jlebar at google.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd be interested in hearing via the survey which path (separate repos vs. monolithic) causes the most workflow disruption.
>
> As phrased this is begging the question.
>
> The question is, what choice is best?  One dimension of "best"
> certainly is "minimizes workflow disruption."  But that's not the only
> one, nor even (necessarily) the most important one.  Certainly we
> don't have to send out a survey to conclude that the non-monolithic
> repository would change workflows the least.  :)

There are two different questions.  First, what's the end goal?  Second, how should we get there?  Workflow disruption should be a key consideration for the latter.

There seemed to be an assumption in Richard's post (perhaps, a reading he didn't intend) that a nested, monolithic git repo was a small, incremental step; a stepping stone toward a flatter structure.  I disagree.