[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Duncan P. N. Exon Smith via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 15:04:19 PDT 2016

A couple of points that I haven't seen raised yet (I'm mid-vacation so this is pretty-much a fly-by; sorry if I missed these earlier in the thread).

I haven't thought about this as deeply as the rest of you.  Maybe these are easily refuted?

1. If there's a move toward a monolithic repository, it's important to remember this is the LLVM project, not the Clang project.  A nested layout that optimizes for Clang developers at the expense of everyone else's workflow would be a disservice to the greater community, even if it's temporary "while we figure out what really makes sense" kind of state.  For that reason, I'm against a monolithic layout that has "clang" living at "tools/clang"... or, really, having any sub-project live inside of the "llvm" directory.

2. Those working on projects *outside* the monolithic repo will get the downsides of both: a monolithic repo that they are only using parts of, and multiple repos that are somehow version-locked.

3. For many (most?) developers, changing to a monolithic git repo is a *bigger* workflow change than switching to separate git repos.  Many people (and at least some downstream infrastructure) use the git mirrors exclusively, aside from git-svn for committing.

#1 and #2 don't negatively impact Clang developers really -- and we have the loudest voices -- but we should be intentional about any changes here.

I mention #3 specifically to address Richard's claim that a monolithic, nested, git repo is a smaller change than separate git repos.  On the contrary, with separate git repos, I just need to update a couple of remotes and I'm finished.
- If "minimize incremental change" is important, we should start with separate git repos (since only SVN users need to change their workflow).
- If "minimize number of changes" is important, we should figure out a close approximation of the end goal and move directly there.

Two specific replies below.

> On 2016-Jul-25, at 12:54, Justin Lebar via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> Hi, all.
>
> I feel like we've strayed pretty far from the question originally
> posed in this thread.
>
> One of the pieces of feedback I got before I started this thread was
> that many people felt that, the last time the question of multiple
> repos vs. monorepo was discussed, it was interspersed with other
> topics, making it difficult for some people to weigh in appropriately
> (or even to be aware that the discussion was occurring).  I'm afraid
> that the discussion of github workflows we're having here may cause
> the same problem.
>
> Maybe we can move the discussion about github workflows into a
> different thread?  Again, I don't mean to stop it, just move it.
>
> To re-focus this thread on its original topic: It sounds to me like,
> broadly speaking, we have consensus on using a single repository.

I'm not convinced.  I'd be interested in hearing via the survey which path (separate repos vs. monolithic) causes the most workflow disruption.

> But
> there are still some outstanding related questions.  Among these are:
>
> 1) Should the repository have "unified history"?  (Meaning, should I
> be able to check out a single git revision from before the migration
> and have it contain all of the llvm subprojects?)
>
> 2) Should the monorepo have a "nested" repository layout (e.g. clang
> goes in /tools/clang) or a "flat" layout (clang goes in /clang)?
>
> 3) Assuming we want unified history, should the new canonical
> repository's hashes be based on
> https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project, or should it start
> afresh?
>
> FWIW my answers to these are:
>
> 1) Yes to unified history.  The main advantage of non-unified history
> is that it's easier for people to import old branches -- it's a matter
> of "git merge" instead of running the git filter-branch script I
> wrote.  But this is a relatively small (~20 minute) one-time cost to
> some of us, whereas our repository history is born by all of us
> forever.  Moreover unified history also helps people with long-running
> branches, as it lets them check out old versions of their branch and
> get a compatible version of all of the other llvm subprojects.
>
> 2) Yes to nested layout.  I find Chandler and Richard Smith's
> arguments compelling.

I disagree with having "clang" nested inside "llvm".