[llvm-dev] [PM] I think that the new PM needs to learn about inter-analysis dependencies...

Hal Finkel via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 13:03:18 PDT 2016

> [...]

> > > me
> > > know.
> >

> > > As far as changes to the code, t he updates to the new PM passes
> > > should hopefully be mechanical (despite there being many of
> > > them).
> > > However, from what I can tell, fixing this problem will require
> > > touching most lines of the analysis manager machinery so the diff
> > > will probably be a bit scary, even though I think we can keep the
> > > same basic structure (i.e. a per-IRUnit std::list holding one
> > > analysis result (at a stable address) per element, combined with
> > > DenseMap from (Analysis, IRUnit) to an element of the per-IRUnit
> > > storage list (see AnalysisResultListMapT and AnalysisResultMapT
> > > in
> > > include/llvm/IR/PassManager.h)).
> >

> > > The main changes to the analysis manager will be:
> >

> > > - type-erasing the IRUnit
> >

> > > - the elements of the AnalysisResultListMapT will need to keep
> > > track
> > > of any dependents
> >

> > > - the analysis manager will need to update those dependencies as
> > > it
> > > is re-entered by analyses getting results of other analyses
> >

> > > - the analysis manager will need to walk the dependencies to do
> > > transitive invalidation
> >

> > > I think the most robust approach is for analysis dependencies to
> > > be
> > > implicitly constructed by the analysis manager via tracking
> > > entry/exit from get{,Cached}Result.
> >

> > > One alternative is for analyses to explicitly pass in their ID to
> > > getResult to indicate the dependency, but that seems error-prone
> > > (and also verbose). The issue is that we will need a getResult
> > > API
> > > that does not track dependencies for use by transformation passes
> > > (since there is no dependency to track in that case); so an
> > > innocuous copy-paste from a transform pass to an analysis can
> > > result
> > > in a failure to track dependencies and risk of use-after-free (we
> > > could fight this with the type system, but I think that would get
> > > bit verbose (I'm willing to try it though if people would
> > > prefer))
> >

> > > One restriction of the implicit tracking approach is that it
> > > requires
> > > all calls into the analysis manager to occur in the `run` method
> > > of
> > > the analysis (so that the dependencies are implicitly tracked via
> > > re-entrance to get{,Cached}Result); is this a reasonable
> > > restriction?
> >

> > What's the potential use case for getting an analysis outside of
> > something in, or called by, run()?
>
> The main thing I had in mind was that if an analysis happens to stash
> a pointer directly to the analysis manager, then it may call into
> the analysis manager in the query path. For example, you would have
> this situation if a module analysis has a query path that wants to
> lazily compute a function analysis (i.e. compute the function
Yes, I'm pretty sure that we want to support that (a module analysis lazily getting function-level analysis results on the functions in the module). To put it another way, we definitely want a module transformation to be able to do that, and if an analysis can't, that limits our ability to properly organize/reuse code.

We might have a slightly different interface for that, however, if it can't be implicit in that case.

-Hal