[llvm-dev] Alias Analysis with inbound GEPs

Demikhovsky, Elena via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 12:46:34 PDT 2016

I’m checking aliasing of two pointers:

  %GEP1 = getelementptr inbounds %struct.s, %struct.s* %0, i64 0, i32 1, i64 %indvars.iv41, i64 %indvars.iv39
  %GEP2 = getelementptr inbounds %struct.s, %struct.s* %0, i64 0, i32 16

The result I got is “PartialAlias” because the indices of the GEP1 are variable.
That seems like a bug. PartialAlias should only be returned when we can prove a partial overlap. Otherwise, MayAlias should be returned.
[Demikhovsky, Elena] There are some comments inside:
  // Statically, we can see that the base objects are the same, but the
  // pointers have dynamic offsets which we can't resolve. And none of our
  // little tricks above worked.
  //
  // TODO: Returning PartialAlias instead of MayAlias is a mild hack; the
  // practical effect of this is protecting TBAA in the case of dynamic
 // indices into arrays of unions or malloc'd memory.
  return PartialAlias;

Shouldn’t the “inbounds” keyword mean that the access to sub-array is also in-bounds?
No. inbounds applies only to the whole object.
I’m trying to reach “NoAlias” consensus between GEP1 and GEP2.
Did the original code come from C or C++? What are we modeling here?
[Demikhovsky, Elena] C-code:
                           for (m=0; m < params->num; m++) {
                                           params->a[i][m] = expr;
                              }
%GEP1 is the store for params->a[i][m]
%GEP2 is the load for params->num.
The loop is not vectorized due to a possible collision between params->num and params->a[i][m]. If I take loading of params->num outside the loop, it is vectorized.
Bounds of array “a” are known at compile time. Limit of “i” and “m” are runtime variables.

 -Hal

Thanks.

·         Elena

Intel Israel (74) Limited