[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Justin Lebar via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Mon Jul 25 09:54:15 PDT 2016

Hi, all.

I feel like we've strayed pretty far from the question originally
posed in this thread.

One of the pieces of feedback I got before I started this thread was
that many people felt that, the last time the question of multiple
repos vs. monorepo was discussed, it was interspersed with other
topics, making it difficult for some people to weigh in appropriately
(or even to be aware that the discussion was occurring).  I'm afraid
that the discussion of github workflows we're having here may cause
the same problem.

Maybe we can move the discussion about github workflows into a
different thread?  Again, I don't mean to stop it, just move it.

To re-focus this thread on its original topic: It sounds to me like,
broadly speaking, we have consensus on using a single repository.  But
there are still some outstanding related questions.  Among these are:

1) Should the repository have "unified history"?  (Meaning, should I
be able to check out a single git revision from before the migration
and have it contain all of the llvm subprojects?)

2) Should the monorepo have a "nested" repository layout (e.g. clang
goes in /tools/clang) or a "flat" layout (clang goes in /clang)?

3) Assuming we want unified history, should the new canonical
repository's hashes be based on
https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project, or should it start
afresh?

FWIW my answers to these are:

1) Yes to unified history.  The main advantage of non-unified history
is that it's easier for people to import old branches -- it's a matter
of "git merge" instead of running the git filter-branch script I
wrote.  But this is a relatively small (~20 minute) one-time cost to
some of us, whereas our repository history is born by all of us
forever.  Moreover unified history also helps people with long-running
branches, as it lets them check out old versions of their branch and
get a compatible version of all of the other llvm subprojects.

2) Yes to nested layout.  I find Chandler and Richard Smith's
arguments compelling.

3) No to basing the new canonical repo on
https://github.com/llvm-project/llvm-project.  That repo's history is
missing svn revision numbers, and there are enough emails floating
around that reference svn revision numbers that I think we need them
in our canonical repo.  Also llvm-project/llvm-project has a flat
structure, and if we end up going with a nested layout, it would be
better to have that layout starting with the first commit.

-Justin