[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Robinson, Paul via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sun Jul 24 21:06:57 PDT 2016

>>> Long term, I want to see us use a layout that reasonably connotes the
>>> logical and practical structure of the code and project as a whole. I
>>> also long-term want to see the layout effectively address the pragmatic
>>> needs of tools and systems developers rely on such as "git log". On the
>>> whole, I think #2 is (slightly) closer to that than #1 so I strongly
>>> prefer it, but it clearly isn't perfect here. I just think we can
>>> incrementally fix and improve the layout over time. I don't think we're
>>> stuck in a single layout forever.
>>
>> `git log` is suddenly harder i.e. instead of getting llvm, I get libcxx +
>> libcxx-abi + compiler-rt + clang + clang-tools-extras + lld + …
>
> This is the reason for my preference as well.
>
> -- Sean Silva

Hmm... in terms of commit counts, llvm dwarfs clang, and everything else is
in the noise (based on my fading memory of data from two years ago, but still).
I wouldn't think log "pollution" is that big a deal for those doing llvm work.
The inverse problem is that llvm logs would drown out lower-activity
subprojects, but you can get around that with 'git log llvm/tools/clang' or
whatever.

--paulr