[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Sat Jul 23 04:38:27 PDT 2016

On 23 Jul 2016, at 03:39, Mehdi Amini <mehdi.amini at apple.com> wrote:

> I forgot to mention that I pushed the result there: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified/tree/cheri-unified
> (History: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified/commits/cheri-unified )

Thank you very much for doing this!  I’m now convinced that there’s a clean way to move from existing git clones to the unified repository.

I think that we do need some decent documentation for how people with clones of the existing github.com/llvm-mirror repos produce a unified repository that they can then merge from upstream, but it looks pretty nice.

It will require a bit of effort for us to update various scripts, CI jobs, and so on to make use of this, but it looks as if the end result will be a lot easier to work with and worth the transition pain.

On a fast machine with a decent Internet connection, a fresh clone of this repo takes about one minute, 40 seconds, transfers 458.56MB and produces a directory that uses 876MB of disk space.  These numbers all look very reasonable.

David