[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 14:04:58 PDT 2016

On 22 July 2016 at 13:48, Piotr Padlewski via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>> The build system can help, you just need to have two (sparse) checkout: one for LLVM/clang and the other for clang-tidy, and configure the build with the LLVM/clang checkout adding the clang-tidy as external.

> Can you describe it more?

Something like this

$ git clone git at github.com:llvm/llvm.git
$ git clone git at github.com:llvm/llvm.git clang-tools-extras
$ <make the clang-tools sparse if you want, doesn't seem strictly
necessary though>
$ mkdir build && cd build
$ cmake ../llvm
-DLLVM_EXTERNAL_CLANG_TOOLS_EXTRA_SOURCE_DIR=../clang-tools-extras/tools/clang/tools/clang-tools-extras
$ make

> I don't get the approach, but it seems we are trying to make it easier to use llvm, but in the same time we are making it harder.

As Justin said, this isn't an issue for the majority of developers and
it's a solvable problem for you.

> BTW Does anyone knows why cmake is reloading each time I update llvm/clang repo? I hope that both approaches would solve this problem, because it doesn't seem like a something that should happen.

It reconfigures every time a CMakelists.txt file used in the build is
changed, which is unavoidable as far as I'm aware.

Cheers.

Tim.