[llvm-dev] Creating llvm/DebugInfo/Msf folder

Zachary Turner via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 09:07:44 PDT 2016

Hi all,

If you don't care about Debug Info or PDB files you can stop reading now.

Just wanted to give a heads up that I'm planning to add a new folder under
DebugInfo called Msf.

MSF stands for Multi-Stream File and is the container format used by PDB
debug info files.  However, MSF by itself is generic enough that it need
not contain PDB data, and in fact I can think of at least one other case of
MSF files being used to store non-PDB data.

Currently, we have llvm/DebugInfo/PDB which contains both our knowledge of
the PDB format as well as our knowledge of the MSF format.  And worse, some
of this knowledge of MSF files is in DebugInfo/CodeView.  And in some cases
we are saying PDB when we really mean MSF, and in some cases we are saying
MSF when we really mean PDB.

To make the distinction clearer, and to provide a theoretical means by
which someone could use MSF to store non-PDB data, I have a patch to move
all our of MSF knowledge into a separate library.

I'm planning to commit this later today, and mostly just wanted to give a
heads up in case people are surprised when they see a new directory pop up
under DebugInfo.