[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

David Chisnall via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Fri Jul 22 00:31:38 PDT 2016

On 22 Jul 2016, at 07:14, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:

> Just tried to set it up there: https://github.com/joker-eph/llvm-unified
> (git log —follow is working fine with this setup).
>
> While it preserves the history fine (I.e. the hashes are identical to the current git), it has a drawback: there isn’t anymore a common ancestor for the parents of the merge (this may or may not be an issue in practice, not sure yet, but it is uncommon for git).

Perhaps I’m missing something, but on GitHub I can’t see any of the history.  Assuming that this is just a GitHub UI issue, can you explain the steps for a downstream user who has clones of the llvm and clang repos that were forked at some point in the past, have been periodically merged, and contain a load of commits on top of upstream would migrate to using this?

David