[llvm-dev] [RFC] One or many git repositories?

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 20 18:18:29 PDT 2016

On 21 July 2016 at 02:06, Daniel Berlin <dberlin at dberlin.org> wrote:
>> Checking out all of it is bad,
>
> Define bad?
> Time?
> Disk space?
> Bandwidth?
>
> I mean, we already assume you have a lot of each anyway?

This is not about me, it's about people that use LLVM projects elsewhere.

>> but having them officially interlinked, it seems, is worse.
>
> Why?
> Below it sounds like you want to do this as a way of enforcing projects to
> stay independent of each other.

Why every one take my comments as my own personal motives?

I'm just the "consensus seeker". None of these ideas are mine, I'm
just echoing what was said in 320 emails, plus what was said in the
past few years when people discussed about using pure Git.

People in the IRC were saying I had ulterior motives, that I was
pushing people to use GitHub or sub-modules, or whatever. This is
*really* not cool.

Every single thread so far has died down and I wrote a summary, and no
one said anything. Then I created another thread, and wrote another
summary. Once no one was disagreeing, I wrote the text.

Now every one wants to disagree again. Seriously?

I *personally* don't care if we use GitHub, or GitLab, Git or
mercurial. I don't care if we have sub-modules or a monolithic
repository, but I'm not the only user.

LLVM has, so far, taken the modular approach that other projects can
embed our projects on their products. Downstream commercial products
do that, other OSS projects do that, and that's pretty cool.

GCC has had a *huge* flying monster in the last decade because they
weren't modular enough and that has been the big difference of LLVM,
and why it gained traction on impossible partners, like Emacs.

If we're saying we want to close everything down and make a compiler
like GCC, that will make my life **MUCH** easier. So there is
absolutely *no* point in me pushing the other way.

But I'm not the only user... And I'd rather not be selfish.

If the consensus has changed from last week, or if no one has actually
read the emails and threads and want to do it all over again, please
be my guest.

cheers,
--renato