[llvm-dev] [CMake] LLVM_PROGRAM_PREFIX support

Krzysztof Parzyszek via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Wed Jul 20 13:30:19 PDT 2016

On 7/20/2016 2:52 PM, Martin J. O'Riordan via llvm-dev wrote:
> I’m not against the idea, but why do we need prefixes at all?  I
> understand with GCC the need to prefix with the target triple as it uses
> separate programs for each target, but I think that is not the case with
> LLVM/CLang

This has been discussed in the past and there was some interest in this
feature. Our use case is that we ship the Hexagon compiler that only has
the Hexagon target in it. On top of that, it is a cross-compiler, so it
runs on X86, but generates code for Hexagon. All relevant binaries in
that installation are prefixed with hexagon-, so that clang is
hexagon-clang, etc. This avoids any potential name conflicts with the
host clang.

-Krzysztof

hosted by The Linux Foundation