[llvm-dev] GitHub Hooks

Tim Northover via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 17:54:53 PDT 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 17:10, Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev
<llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
> Tim’s repo is using "status checks” and not only protected branch.

Yep, I think the main benefit (so far) over just protected branches
would be that we can also guarantee sane timestamps on master, which
should mean we can reconstruct the llvm-project umbrella uniquely when
its script goes down or something else weird happens.

I think that's a useful ability to have, and can't really think of a
way to do it if you can't trust a commit's time (commit-date here, not
author-date). I'm not sure how theoretical that issue is though.

It would also alter the usual git workflow, which is unfortunate.
You'd have to explicitly run "git llvm-verify" before pushing to
master (or "git llvm-push", or whatever).

Tim.