[llvm-dev] GitHub Hooks

Renato Golin via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 16:00:56 PDT 2016

Perhaps it helps to know that I have access to the machines and have helped
debug many of the current problems. I'm not speaking from the outside,
guessing how hard things are.

I also think you are assuming a lot about where services can be hosted and
at which cost (labour, not hardware).

So, unless you are volunteering to take care of the whole infrastructure, I
suggest taking the opinion of people that are working with it a but more
seriously.

However, I'd still trust github over anyone of us any day, to host our
repositories. Any one of us could leave the community at any time, but
github, as a company, with many employees and a successful business, will
probably outlast any if us in our current employments.

>From that point of view, the foundation would be better betting their money
on a stable product than on individual volunteers. While it's cool that
some people volunteer, you can't base such a critical system on it.

Cheers,
Renato