[llvm-dev] GitHub Hooks

Mehdi Amini via llvm-dev llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org
Tue Jul 19 14:35:14 PDT 2016

> On Jul 19, 2016, at 1:27 PM, Renato Golin via llvm-dev <llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org> wrote:
>
> So, there's been a bit of a misunderstanding about the hooks that are
> supported in GitHub, and after talking to the GitHub staff, I'd like
> to clarify what they are and how we can use them.
>

>  1. Pre-commit hooks, avoiding forced pushes / re-order
>
> GitHub doesn't support server hooks due to security concerns.

Well, maybe GitHub hosting is not the right choice for our requirement then.

> But there is an alternative:
>
> https://help.github.com/articles/about-required-status-checks/
>
> I don't know how we'd check for non-ff-merges with this, and I'd
> appreciate if someone with better GitHub knowledge could chime in. But
> they *do* stop pushes from going in, which is what we want. Maybe we
> would need a web-service (see 2) to get this working.
>
> How does Swift solve this? Do we really need a linear history on the
> projects, or just on the umbrella project?
>

> 2. Post-commit umbrella updates
>
> We can use webhooks:
>
> https://developer.github.com/webhooks/
>
> This would hit some webpage / buildbot and make them update the
> llvm-projects (with sub-modules) via git.
>
> We'd be required to maintain a piece of web service somewhere, but the
> maintenance of that web-service will be a lot less than the current
> SVN/Git servers.

Claiming that it "will be *a lot* less” burden that now is easy, but I don’t see any obvious fact to back this up.
What is the current maintenance requirement of SVN/Git? Can someone who knows provides some fact?

CC Anton just in case.

—
Mehdi